Sunday, October 11, 2009

Why I hate taking staircase photos

OK, so they aren't all bad but who ever first started this trend of photography, well, good riddens. In my opinion, it is not flattering, it gives instant double chins and the line up slowly kills me inside. The exception to this are elongated stone staircases, large spiral ones and wide open fancy ones where you can fit a large group. Also, when you only have a small group of just the bride and groom only or 1-4 people then it works fine, especially at different angles, above or straight-on rather than below. If it is a family tradition I understand and like to match those but it is by no means a new idea and quite overused. And although I can compensate most lighting, depending on how the staircases are, you get too much light in the front and not enough light towards the back and it makes zero sense to me in the flattery category.
The fascination of the staircase has always amazed me so I decided to do some research on it which I found very little on. I'm assuming it comes from back in the day when they had more intricate designs and they put so much more work into the spindles and the carvings. Historically staircases are a beautiful site and I love the huge ones like at the capital buildings in downtown Albany. Overall I give a thumbs down but will still do them upon request as I get with my other pet peeve: the 1970s "put the bouquets on the train" look ... makes me cringe but I will do it no questions asked because I understand that everyone likes different things.

MY CURRENT PROJECT: Belarmino Wedding and spray painting our new gas stove pipe
SONG STUCK IN MY HEAD: SexyBack by Justin Timberlake
CRAVING: some R&R
NEEDED A MOMENT: AA rechargeable batteries
BEST MOMENT: crawling in bed

No comments:

Post a Comment