Saturday, January 23, 2010

Tip: Looking into mirrors

Mirrors and photographers have a love/hate relationship and there is no in between. Many already know that if the flash hits a shiny reflective object the image turns out black, even for the most skilled photographer this can sometimes happen if not careful. Although I say avoid mirrors and windows being behind you if possible, I'm not writing about that.
I'm aiming my focus to those planning on having mirrors in the backgrounds at Getting Ready, Ceremonies & Reception to please make sure they are clean! Many, especially venues, may not realize the importance of this but cameras reflect more than just people. Dust, fingerprints and smears all show and it's very hard to fix reflections because mirrors have edges that have to be symmetrically straight or proportionately curved.

Here is a before and after of a corrected mirror shot. I had to correct the dirty mirror, it was the kiss shot!

But here is where the love truly comes in... in this photo below, the bride's brother was giving a speech in which he included how happy his wife has made him. If you take a look in the mirror, there she sits in the blue. Love that I can get all involved in one photo from one angle. However, I still had to take multiple photos of this same stance to get a couple without hitting the flash on the mirror.

Here is another great way mirrors can be a photographers best friend. Even if this photo wasn't color accented, it would still be wonderful. I get the Grooms expression and the Brides!

No comments:

Post a Comment