Sunday, May 10, 2015

Reversing the meaning of Mother's Day

I helped raise a child that was not mine. He was never physically my son, only technically my step-son on paper and sadly, he never will be own son. I will never get the credit, I will never get acknowledgement and I will never feel appreciation from the one person who matters the most. But I suppose that's what being a mother is really all about. Besides, shouldn't we silently celebrate it everyday by living out our lives to the fullest?

So I decided that I am reversing the meaning of Mother's Day by saying... Thank you to my step-son, for giving me the chance to be a motherly figure in my life when I least expected it, to share my impressions, my art, my stories, my thoughts, reminding me of how hard and how easy it was to love a child that was only half of my husband and the other half a complete stranger, and of course, our random dance moves in the kitchen while making sandwiches. Thank you for those times. From the moment I first met you at age 6 to an adult I have been proud of you. I'm sad you have chosen to no longer be in my life but I understand it and it's days like today that I am reminded of what it all meant. I have learned so much from you and I want you to know, I would never take away one moment I had with you from my life.

To all the step-mom's out there, Happy Step-Mom Day, because Smom's sometimes rock out mothering better than the actual mom.

Lastly, to my mom, thank you giving life to me. Happy Mother's Day. You should have the right to  know that I acknowledge, appreciate, love and understand you.... and I do.

JD & I, the day I married his dad.

My mom and I, 1987

No comments:

Post a Comment