Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I don't understand that it's not understandable

I guess we are never meant to understand everyone and what they do, that's just life. Lately I've been getting some new inquiries and actual bookings where they love my work but don't understand the creative detail or decor photos I take. So let me try to give you a couple reasons why I take them and then maybe you'll understand and want them. If not, I'll still will take them anyway and then you can delete them after you get them. Secretly I think I take decor shots for my own wants and artistic reasons anyway but here are the reasons I found along the way:
  1. Ever read or see a wedding magazine? Take a look at the photos inside. Most of them are of detail and decor ideas. If you like those and don't even realize it, you'll probably love your own.

  2. I hear most couples say that the reason they hired me was because I take those detail shots and no other photographer they've come across ever takes them.

  3. I witness countless times where the bride and groom never even got to see anything because they are so busy visiting and things go so fast they they missed the details and decor, making the entire day a whirlwind. I've even heard of the bride and groom never getting to eat their own cake and the waitstaff takes it away before they even get a chance... but guess what? I probably got a photo of it though.

  4. Many, many, many times I get the venues or caterers asking me to take a few photos for them. They ask me to send them some photos of their location site and set-up so they can show how fabulous they are and what they can do for future customers like you. I'm not one to turn down free advertisement - are you?

  5. On that same idea, newspapers, magazines and wedding planners also ask to use them, how cool would it be for your wedding to possibly get published someday? And guess what photos they ask for?

  6. Lastly, it's just plain cool and trendy. It doesn't hurt in any matter. And if you don't want it or understand my type of work, then I ask, why are you hiring me? No offense to be taken either way, just an honest question that maybe it's not the right fit. I never want to take on work where I can't do what I do best. That's like asking Mozart to not play the piano in the way he did because you don't understand it.

MY CURRENT PROJECT: Finishing Hunt wedding and Conway Coffee Table album design
SONG STUCK IN MY HEAD: Feel Good Inc by Gorillaz
CRAVING: a non-sensitive tooth
NEEDED A MOMENT: it's hard to eat lunch when the waitresses are talking about their friend having bypass surgery, mmm yum, more grease please...
BEST MOMENT: getting off that high horse and letting go

No comments:

Post a Comment